The Testaments - Book Review


The Testaments is a 2019 novel by Margaret Atwood, the sequel to The Handmaid's Tale (1985). 

The novel has three narrators: Aunt Lydia (who doesn't remember her from The Handmaid's Tale?), Agnes (the elder daughter of the Handmaid growing up in Gilead) and Daisy (or Nicole, the younger daughter of the Handmaid, who was smuggled out of Gilead as an infant and is growing up in Canada with her adoptive parents).

The novel is fast-paced and doesn't waste any time. We are quickly introduced to the current-day Gilead and the rot that has set in society. What nobody knows is that Aunt Lydia is gleaning the evidence of all the wrongdoings by the Commanders and their Wives, and the other men in power. Aunt Lydia - what a transformation she undergoes while remaining true to character. We are given plenty of backstory about her beginning in Gilead and how she came to become an Aunt, the friends she betrayed and the crimes she committed to save herself. She is a tough, conniving character, who knows how to keep the Commanders content while retaining the power. She manages the other Founding Aunts expertly by pitting them one against the other and eliminating her enemies without getting her hands dirty. Without giving away any spoilers, I want to add that for me as a reader, Aunt Lydia (a hated character from the Handmaid's Tale) is the single factor that made The Testaments such an engaging and enjoyable read. Aunt Lydia's lack of scruples and callousness towards the characters who are sacrificed in the pursuit of her larger goal (which is revenge against Gilead) makes her a complex and interesting character. Aunt Lydia will stay in my mind for a long time and after reading The Testaments, I see her in a new light.

The other two characters Agnes and Nicole are also interesting and well-developed. The writing is wonderful and gripping. I thoroughly enjoyed the two days I spent reading this novel.

If there is one thing I could change about this novel, I would've liked more of elaboration of how the Gilead society crumbled after the climax where the incriminating evidence was leaked to the larger world. For a reader, that is the payoff, the reason why the reader has stuck around for ~480 pages, and I think a greater payoff would've made me more content. But I'm perfectly happy to wait for the next couple of seasons of the TV series The Handmaid's Tale (the next two are confirmed if I'm not wrong). I'm sure the TV series will do justice to the novel and be thoroughly entertaining. 

My rating: 5/5 stars!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slumdog Millionaire or Slumdog India?

An Excerpt from my upcoming Book

Moral decadence of the Modern society